How can I join Youth Scotland?
Youth Scotland works in partnership with a network of autonomous Area Associations throughout Scotland to support the delivery of local, community-based youth work.
"The services Youth Scotland provide are an important factor in the success of our youth project. If on the many occasions I had not been able to pick up the phone and chat to a member of staff . I would not have been able to provide this level of quality youth work in my youth group." Volunteer Youth Worker
Youth Scotland membership is open to groups that use a youth work approach to work with young people. To become a full member of Youth Scotland you should be able to demonstrate that you are delivering community based youth work where:
- Young people choose to participate. The young person takes part voluntarily. It is the young person's decision to engage or to walk away.
- The work builds from where young people are. The young person's life experience is respected and young people are involved in shaping the agenda in negotiation with peers and youth workers.
- The group recognises the young person and the youth worker as partners in a learning process. The young person is recognised as an active partner who can, and should, have opportunities and resources to shape their lives.
Where to join
If your youth group is geographically based in any of these areas you can join via your Area Association. If you are not based in these areas, join Youth Scotland directly.
If you are in any doubt, please call Youth Scotland on 0131 554 2561.
Youth Scotland Area Coordinators
Susan Pollock, Youth Worker, Dumfriesshire
Glynis Lockhart, Youth Development Worker, Galloway
Reasons to join
By joining Youth Scotland, your group gains access to valuable and pratcial benefits, as well as becoming part of a national network of over 1,000 groups nationally.
For as little as £45, your group could have:
- Help to register workers/ volunteers with the PVG scheme
- Access to a tailor-made insurance package
- Access to Youth Work Essentials, which includes information, sample policies and employment law advice
- Free or discounted training, delivered at times and locations that suit you
- Free Dynamic Youth Awards registration
- Access to up to £2,000 through Youth Scotland's small grants schemes
- Peace of mind, knowing that your group is part of a network of around 1,000 youth groups delivering safe and inspiring activities for Scotland's young people.
See a full list of membership benefits.